It’s that time of the year again. When we are putting up our best for gourmet dinner, expensive gifts and mushy greeting cards. Yes, Valentine’s day is around the corner and suddenly roses prices are touching the sky. Let’s get this valentine sorted for you, how about cooking a perfect beautiful dessert. Impress your valentine with a special dessert recipe, shared by a Masterchef contestant.
Sadaf Hussain, who is popularly known for two things. Charm among girls and second for his brilliant performance in Masterchef kitchen 5. He made into top 10.
Sadaf, What’s so special about this month?
I love February, it is, in fact, my favourite month (second only to November, because that’s when winter begins!). The month has love flying in the air and everybody wants to be with their loved ones.
What would be that one dish you will cook for you special one?
February is also denoted by the colour red for me because it’s strawberry season. Chocolate symbolises sensuality and love. Therefore, my dish “A Warm Hug” has all the elements that one finds in a relationship–a relationship has rough as well as smooth phases, different colours and, a mix of sweet, salt and sour, and of course lots of sensuality. And this dish of mine has all these elements.
What is a warm hug? Sounds interesting!
Beetroot Halwa with Sesame Pebbles, Chocolate Cannelloni and Chocolate Sauce.Beetroot Halwa is something which is very much in fashion these days. The beetroot halwa is bright in colour and looks so tempting, add in some nuts for that extra crunch. Being a valentine occasion, chocolate is essential.with Chocolate Cannelloni filled with whipped cream and dusted with Coco Powder, and I also added sesame pebbles. All this helped my dessert recipe to give different texture and flavour in just one bite. In my assumption, it is actually important to give people varied textures and flavour in one spoon.
Beetroot Halwa with Sesame Pebbles, Chocolate Cannelloni and Chocolate Sauce
Beetroot Halwa Ingredients:
Beetroots 1⁄2 Kg
Honey 2 tbsp
Condensed Milk 2 tbsp
Milk 500 ml
Star Anise (powder) 1 tsp
Cinnamon 1 tsp
Ghee 2 tbsp
Khoya 4 tbsp
Almond and Cashews (dry roasted) 8-10
Beetroot Halwa Steps:
1.Wash the beetroots and peel them.
2. Using a grater, grate all the beetroots.
3. Heat the ghee in a pan and cook the beetroot.
4. Add in the milk and let it cook for 15-20 minutes on low flame.
5. Ensure it doesn’t burn.
6. In a different pan, dry roast chopped cashews and almonds.
7. Once, milk is evaporated and beetroot is cooked properly, add Khoya and honey. Mix them well.
8. Add condensed milk and dry fruits, and mix again.
9. Let it cook for 5-8 minutes again.
10. Mix well with the cinnamon and star anise powder.
11. Let it cook it the liquid evaporates.
12. Serve it hot or cold, as per preference.
Chocolate Cannelloni with Whipped Cream Ingredients:
Almond Meal 150 gm
Cocoa Powder 100 gm + 50 gm
Caster Sugar 50 gm
Plain Flour 25 gm
Egg Whites 4
Whipping Cream 100 gms
Chocolate Cannelloni with Whipped Cream Steps:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients together. (almond meal, cocoa powder, sugar and flour)
2. Add egg whites and process until combined.
3. Place a 10cm x 10cm square stencil onto a silicone mat.
4. Place about 1 tablespoon of the mixture onto the silicone and spread very thinly and evenly with a palette knife.
5. Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Quickly, remove cannelloni from the oven and shape them in a cylindrical tube, creating a cannelloni-shaped biscuit. Set aside to cool.
6. Pipe in whipped cream inside and roll the cannelloni in cocoa powder.
Chocolate Sauce Ingredients:
Cooking or eating Chocolate 100 gm
Butter 20 gm
Nutmeg powder 1/2 tsp
Chocolate Sauce Steps:
1.In a double boiler, melt chocolate and butter together
2. Mix Nutmeg powder
Sesame Pebble Ingredients:
Black and White Sesame Seeds 1 Cup
Sugar 2 Cups
Sesame Pebble Steps:
1.Lightly toss the black sesame seeds in a pan.
2. Melt the sugar and let it caramelised.
3. Mix them together, pour on a baking sheet and spread. Let it cool.
4. Once cool, crush them roughly to get a mix rough texture of powder and bigger snaps.
You can plate however you want, but this is according to the picture.
1. Fill a half moon silicon mould with Beetroot Halwa.
2. Take it out slowly in the middle of a plate.
3. Put some Sesame Pebbles around it.
4. Drizzle chocolate in a circular motion.
5. Keep the Chocolate Cannelloni on one side.
6. Your plate is ready, an easy dessert recipe. Take pictures upload on social media( Tag @sadaf_hussain on instagram) and dig in.